Launching a WordPress Blog EBook by Tina Clarke Microsoft MVP – FrontPage and Pat Geary Microsoft MVP – FrontPage
New, Just Released and available for FREE download NOW
Learn to install and setup your own WordPress Blog with this easy to follow tutorial.
This Launching a WordPress Blog EBook is focused on giving a guideline for installing WordPress on your own host with your own domain or a sub-domain. It is intended as a beginner’s ebook and covers the basics. There are some advanced techniques included as well. It is essential that you start with Getting started with a WP Blog and follow step by step each page. Tick off each step as you go so you know you are following along. Having been through this process we have found this is truly the best way forward.
This checklist can be printed from the book and will give you an idea of the topics Covered Include:
- Getting started with a WordPress Blog
- Requirements for Installing WordPress – Before you get started make sure your host givesyou the tools you need. One host that we know of who does not is 1and1 UK Home packages. Did you read to the bottom of the page?
- Installing Database
- Download WordPress
- Configure wp-config-sample file – Did you read the instructions all of the way through? Did you rename the file?
- Configure a FTP Client – If you are already using an ftp client that works,
it is not necessary to download FileZilla. Use the one you are comfortable with, but make sure if you’re using another ftp client to set it to ASCII.
- Installing WordPress
- Setting up WordPress – Did you read to the bottom of the page? Do not try and install a new theme yet. Work with the default one until you have finished setting up.
- Options Permalinks – If your url looks like http://your-domain.com/hello-world.php
rather than http://your-domain.com/?p123
you followed the instructions. Ready for the next step?
- Configure WordPress Categories – Did you follow all of the instructions to the bottom of the page? Don’t worry; you can add more categories later.
- Setting WordPress Preferences – Read it all!
- Installing WordPress Themes – Now you are finally here. Read it all to the very bottom. It will take you longer to decide on choosing a theme than anything else. Once you have installed the theme, take the time to check how it looks in the various browsers, does it have a horizontal scroll? Does it validate? Do you know enough to tweak it until it works like it is supposed to or would you be better off choosing another one?
- Creating SEO Titles in WordPress – Did you follow all of the steps? Did you
read to the BOTTOM of the page? Does your page title look like it is supposed to?
- Disable NoFollow Attribute in WordPress – If you don’t read to the very bottom, you will miss the bit about writing posts. After all, that is what your blog isfor.
- WordPress Essentials
- WordPress Plugins
- Akismet Plugin – If you don’t want to be plagued by spam, read and configure this plugin.
- Sitemap Plugin – Read all the way to the bottom or you will end up with the word category beside all of your categories.
- WordPress Database Backup – An easy way to backup your database.
- WordPress Ready Contact Form – Do you want your readers to be able to contact you? Then you need a form for them to use. Don’t skip this part.
- How Trackback and Pingback works in WordPress Learn how they work, how to use them and when to use them.
- Moving a WordPress Blog – More advanced but someday you may want to move from a sub-domain to a domain all its own.
- Upgrading WordPress Program – Read and implement carefully, WordPress regularly updates and improves the program, so be ready with the instructions at hand.
- WordPress API – You will need this for configuring your Akismet Spam Plugin.
- WordPress Tips
- WordPress Plugins
- Desktop Blogging Clients – These are more advanced topics for you to explore, if you find you don’t like the WordPress interface to post your blogs, these desktop blogging clients are a safe alternative.
- Windows Live Writer
- Setting Up Windows Live Writer
- Installing BlogDesk
- BlogDesk Configuration
- Creating Posts in BlogDesk
- Inserting Images in Posts
- Publishing with BlogDesk
- BlogDesk Options
- BlogDesk Extras
- Windows Live Writer
Download your FREE Launching a WordPress Blog EBook NOW.